Task 1: Design Communication
The task here is to design a logo on a DL flyer for the student exhibition at the end of term.We need to list 2 key concepts and 2 key feelings we are trying to communicate.
The concepts I would like to focus on:
- Students at the university are innovative
- The University will help you achieve
The feelings I would like to communicate are:
- Excitement, interest in what we are doing
- Fresh, what we have is new
The concept is fresh and fun, new, maybe the colours will be citrus, squeeze the creativity out of students.
Task 2: Concept Investigation
Here we review the work of other students on the following basis:
1. Clear rendition of 2 key concepts
2. Clear rendition of 2 key feelings
3. Immediate visual appeal
2. Clear rendition of 2 key feelings
3. Immediate visual appeal
Design by Paul Myatt:
Pauls concept was to give "a sense of an energetic creative process with colours sympathetic to the region." R001 He wanted to evoke the feelings of "excitement" and "curiosity." R001
I think Paul achieved both the key concepts and feelings. The movement of light gives the concept of an energetic process, while also providing a feeling of excitement. The warm red and ocher colour is sympathetic to the region and at the same time relates to passion and creativity. The words Bright new Work evokes the curiosity to see the exhibition. The overall visual appeal is fantastic, love the work.
Design by Katelyn Preston:
Katelyn's concept was to reflect the passion of art/ design and creativity and also the location we live in is hot. The feelings Katelyn wanted to reflect include heated passion and calmness. R002
The calmness is reflected in the falling leaves, heat and passion are reflected in the colours. I'm not sure the passion immediately reflects passion for art/design and creativity. I really like the depth achieved with the colour variety in the leaves. It is a little difficult to read the blue writing but I like the words "The heat of the moment", they can mean so much. Overall it is visually appealing.
Research:
Researching student exhibition flyers I found the following ...
I liked this flyer as it demonstrates the student and the work, it tells you it is a showcase of what the students have done and reminds me that it is really the students on exhibition, rather than just their work.
I enjoyed the creativity in this flyer, it's inspirational. I also like that the corporate logos are separate to the art work, the corporate information appears above and below the art work. The dark background always helps art to stand out and look professional.
Here is some good advice when it comes to visual communication ...
The messages I got from the you tube above include, design for your audience, what is the benefit to them? Less is more, keep it simple. Don't decorate, communicate.
Reference:




I like the vid again. Don't decorate - communicate
ReplyDeleteThat's a good tagline.
Your research is good and so are your design efforts. The SQUEEZE idea is a good one. I reckon you could work on the colours in that flyer though. Theoretically the orange and yellow should go together, but the photos of the oranges look dull against the yellow background, Check out KULER and do some image sampling. It will work - just needs tweaking.