Monday, 30 July 2012

Week 3 3D Design

Task 1 - Design an Eco-friendly form of Transport

This week was about designing a eco-friendly form of transport based on the reduce concept. We were then to brand our design with a catchy name.

My initial design looked at gears, this was ditched when I could see it not working.

I then thought of the step exercise machines and whether this could convert to movement. As I continued down this path I could see my design turning into what looked like a bicycle as I searched for balance.

My third and final idea was to base the design on a wheelchair, a form of transport that uses just the arms for movement but, for the able you could also use the power of your legs to assist movement. So I combined this idea with a large wheel for a faster ride.  As I continued with this idea, I thought there might not be a need to actually use your arms or legs. As a mouse runs in its wheel, its forward weight turns the wheel.
If a person was suspended in the wheel and their weight was shifted forward, without using their arms or legs this could turn the wheel. A new form of transport that is eco-friendly.


What to name it?

The Roller
Robby Roller
the cube (irony)
Swing Move

Design

Shape: round

Media: rubber and light weight durable steal
Style: industrial

The Swing Move





Research

When googling my concept I found someone had invented a motorbike with the same design concept, i.e. a person suspended in the middle of a large wheel, pictured below.

http://www.transportblog.com/archives/002845.html

Research 
One concept for a 3D Design may involve a shadow box. As I am not aware of how to make this I Have done some searching on you Tube....


Here a person uses a cutlery tray as a shadow box.




1 comment:

  1. Brilliant - from shadow boxes to re-inventing the wheel - Hopkins has it covered. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete