Friday, 20 July 2012

Week1 3D Design


Task 2: As Homework find a 3D object you like and explain why you like it.

My thoughts race, the first thing that comes to mind are miniature creatures that are dressed like people and come with their own life accessories, houses, ice cream carts, but I dare not admit this to the class. Something more grown up might be appropriate …. I loved the 3D knit sculpture I saw in Brisbane at the Gallery of Modern Art, it grew like a banyan tree to the ceiling of the Gallery, I loved that they had added the scent of lavender so it didn’t smell like old mouldy, mothy wool.

Knit to the ceiling



The detail and variety of material is amazing.

Standing inside, surrounded by knit.


Why I like this piece of work by Hiromi Tango:
I like..
Ø  its size, you could walk threw or sit inside and by surrounded by the creation
Ø  the colours, the colour of a tree is very different, to use abstract colours to represent a tree adds a sense of fun
Ø  that it has recycled objects that may have been sitting unused for many years, the objects may have otherwise been thrown away
Ø  that everywhere you look there is something new to discover, for me, this was a memory of dolls I once owned, my Grandmothers knitting, the knitting I once tried and never finished that sat in the bottom draw for years
Ø  that it seemed to be growing
Ø  the concept that something so soft and delicate formed the vines of knit with the strength to support the structure
Ø  that even though I don’t like knitting or sewing I loved the magic of this object

Here is a video on Hiromi Tango's inspiration. She describes how a collection of special moments becomes a mass and quite overwhelming, it "becomes nothing" she said. I thought this was an interesting way of seeing her creation, when I saw the art I was overwhelmed by it's splendour but not it's complexity, it wasn't nothing. I think it took nothing, the unfinished craft, the junk craft and turned it into something  ... something magical, to inspire your senses, to give the feeling of another world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvv2Ne8vOUA









1 comment:

  1. Once again - good work, but please add a YouTube or website link & commentary. Apart from that - you rock!

    ReplyDelete